An ATA Carnet is an international customs document, which allows goods to travel duty and tax free within participating countries, for up to one year. A carnet can also act as a validation document, when items are re-imported into the UK.
The time consuming task of completing customs documents for each country you pass through, or visit, is avoided. A carnet also gives a guarantee to overseas officials that if temporarily admitted items are not re-exported, duties will be paid.
Almost all perishable, or consumable items can’t be included, ATA Carnets are for commercial samples, professional equipment and items for use at exhibitions, or similar events. In reality, this allows for most non perishable goods you could think of.
Managing payment in your own currency and paperwork in your own language can be a help. An ATA Carnet also offers further benefits:
- Simpler border entries, or exits bring certainty and reduce hassle.
- Costs are reduced by eliminating duties, taxes, VAT and securities.
- A reduction in red tape allows your time to be used more profitably.
- You can visit more than one country, perhaps choose a better route.
- An ATA Carnet can be used for several trips during the one year term.
- Returning your goods to your home country is more straightforward.
Quite rational to think there will be other advantages in specific circumstances, which our clients often sum up as freedom of action.
Obtaining The Benefits
Your entire journey, or journeys can normally be covered by one document, one application. ATA Carnets are now accepted in over 100 countries and territories, including much of the developed world.
Just be aware that a narrow range of items can require separate licenses, or permits in a few countries but they would anyway. Our experienced staff can advise on areas where this might occur.
That unusual need can be supported, along with Guarantee Bonds, goods insurance, or requirements unique to your journey. Why not see a little more on the way the Dynamic Dox ATA Carnet support team will help you.